We are currently looking to hire an associate into our highly regarded specialist Employment team in the Cardiff office. The role on offer is a great opportunity to develop; the prospects for advancement are real. The team provides advice on all areas of employment law and acts for a wide range of national and international clients across the public, private and third sectors. We are consistently ranked in the top tier in the independent legal directories Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
We can provide you with an excellent platform to develop both your technical ability and business development skills within a supportive and thriving team. You will likely soon develop close client relationships that will endure throughout your career. Our encouragement of a decent work/life balance and complementary interests will help you towards a strong long-term profile in this region.
Blake Morgan is committed to adopting Smart Working practices, where appropriate in the context of business needs, and empowering colleagues to maximise their performance. Whilst we strive to ensure consistency of approach across the firm, there will inevitably be some differences in working practices across our business groups and business support functions. We consider each colleague's personal preferences, working styles and development needs when deciding the best arrangements to suit our clients and colleagues. A typical approach would be a blend of working in your usual office, working from another Blake Morgan office, working from a client's office and working from home. A Guide to getting the most out of Smart Working Policy is available for our colleagues.
You will be a core part of the team and able to access the technology, support, training and resources you require. Our lawyer teams are also well supported by our Business Services Finance, HR, IT and Risk functions.
More information about our practice can be found here.
If successful, you can expect a mix of employment work. Your responsibilities might include but not be limited to:
* Being involved in a broad mix of contentious and non-contentious work primarily supporting our Employer clients. Your time will be split between disputes, general advisory work and corporate support work with some client training from time to time
* We act for leading employers in a wide range of sectors, from household-name retail clients to leading NHS, government or third sector organisations. You'll have a great variety of work and the opportunity to advise in a range of interesting areas
* You will have a direct influence on how you want your experience and expertise to develop and you will be strongly encouraged and supported to get involved in business development work, taking an active role in seminars, webinars and networking events in addition to drafting guidance and articles. Your role will include assisting the partners in developing junior members of the team
* You will also benefit from the support and resources of the larger team based across our other offices, which includes specialist Pensions and Immigration lawyers as part of our business group
Skills / Experience Required
You will have developed a genuine interest in employment law in your early career. You will be keen to continue to build and develop your specialist knowledge and your legal skills, including drafting and negotiating skills; carrying out legal research and due diligence; guiding clients in a supportive environment through operational challenges; providing advice in an unambiguous and pragmatic manner; developing client relationships and ensuring that you are a key member of the team to deliver solutions in line with our clients' aims.
* Solid relevant technical expertise and intellectual ability
* Enthusiastic and committed to a career in employment work
* Strong analytical and research skills
* Relationship-driven and personable
* Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
* Strong client and matter management skills
* Willing to be involved in Business Development and contribute to building the client base for the team
* IT proficient
* Exceptional self-motivation and ability to assume responsibility for your own matters
* Committed to rigour around treating all clients fairly
* Focused on providing dedication, determination and loyalty to colleagues, clients and communities
* Able to demonstrate continuous development and diversity in thinking
* Understands and complies with Information Security responsibilities commensurate with this advertised role including Data Protection and the duty of confidentiality. It is an integral part of this role that you comply with Information Security and all firm policies
Blake Morgan is one of the UK's leading full-service law firms, with offices in London, Wales, Thames Valley and the South Coast region. We provide our clients with practical and straightforward legal advice whatever their regional, national and international requirements. Our clients are commercial businesses, not-for-profit organisations, government agencies and private individuals.
Our office locations and details of how to reach them are found here.
Please note that we are currently only accepting CVs from instructed agencies and direct applicants. We do not accept CVs from recruitment agencies unless terms and conditions have been agreed in advance with our Resourcing Team.
Some of the benefits of working at Blake Morgan can be found here