We are looking for a qualified commercial lawyer with a good grounding in Data Protection and Information Governance to join our highly regarded Commercial team. Based from either our Cardiff or Reading office we are keen to hear from individuals who are looking for opportunities on either a full-time/flexible or part-time basis.
The scope of the role including advising on the application of the GDPR principles to a range of client projects, data sharing including data exports, advising on governance and compliance matters as well as handling individual requests (DSAR) and supporting both data breach and other responses to Information Commissioner Office (ICO) complaints and investigations. The team support both private and public sector including on FOI and EIR requests.
You will be involved in drafting privacy notices, compliance policies and procedures, commercial terms for controller and processor data sharing, and responses to requests.
The role also involves delivering client training and provision of materials on a wide range of data protection compliance and information governance matters.
Skills / Experience Required
You will be an experienced lawyer, able to work with limited supervision and with a strong background in good quality commercial contract work. You will be familiar with a range of commercial contracting agreements and be experienced in applying data protection principles through commercial and pragmatic solutions.
* You will have practiced at a firm well regarded in this area of law and be looking to move your career to the next level
* Strong technical competence
* Intellectual ability
* Commercial awareness
* Good drafting skills
* A team player – willing to support others and be flexible
* Confident and personable
* Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
* Enjoys client contact with ability to build rapport and confidence
* Well regarded where you are
* Willingness to get involved and assist with practices and sector development
* Excellent IT skills
* Committed to rigour around treating all clients fairly
* Focused on attributing dedication, determination and loyalty to colleagues, clients and communities
* Able to demonstrate continuous development and diversity in thinking
* Understands and complies with Information Security responsibilities commensurate with this advertised role including Data Protection and the duty of confidentiality
Blake Morgan is committed to adopting Smart Working practices, where appropriate in the context of business needs, and empowering colleagues to maximise their performance. Whilst we strive to ensure consistency of approach across the firm, there will inevitably be some differences in working practices across our business groups and business support functions. We consider each colleague's personal preferences, working styles and development needs when deciding the best arrangements to suit our clients and colleagues. A typical approach would be a blend of working in your usual office, working from another Blake Morgan office, working from a client's office and working from home. A Guide to getting the most out of Smart Working Policy is available for our colleagues. You will be a core part of the team and able to access the technology, support, training and resources you require. Our lawyer teams are also well supported by our Business Services, Finance, HR, IT and Risk functions.
More information about our practice can be found here.
Blake Morgan is one of the UK's leading full-service law firms, with offices in London, Wales, Thames Valley and the South Coast region. We provide our clients with practical and straightforward legal advice whatever their regional, national and international requirements. Our clients are commercial businesses, not-for-profit organisations, government agencies and private individuals.
Our business groups are:
Banking and Finance
Business Support Services
Commercial and Charities
Commercial Recoveries and Travel
Employment, Pensions, Benefits & Immigration
Our office locations and details of how to reach them are found here.
How to Apply
Please apply on our website through our Online Portal.
Closing Date: Within two months from date of posting but please note we are continually reviewing applications so we would recommend applying sooner rather than later.
Interviews: The interview process will start as soon as suitable candidates have been identified. We will notify you in advance if you are required to carry out a drafting exercise/skills test as part of the interview process.
If you have any questions, please email Rob Brown at email@example.com or telephone on 023 8085 7441.
Please note that we are currently only accepting CVs from direct applicants.
Some of the benefits of working at Blake Morgan include:
* 26 days' annual holiday and option to purchase 1 weeks' leave
* Birthday holiday
* My Time – one working week off for community, faith-based festivals, volunteering, or wellbeing activities
* Profit Share Scheme
* Performance related bonus scheme
* Target Plus (rolling bonus scheme)
* Private medical insurance including access to a health advice helpline
* Auto-enrolment pension scheme (5% employer pension contribution when employee contributes 3%)
* Life assurance scheme
* Critical illness cover
* Cash Plan - claim for flu jab, health screening, optical and dental plus a range of wellbeing and health services
* Employee Assistance Programme
* Professional subscriptions
* Free parking or travel season ticket loan depending on your office location
* Cycle to work scheme
* Discounts at leading retailers
* Recruitment referral scheme
* Gifts at key lifestyle and career milestones