We are looking for a Business Development Manager (12 month FTC) to join our Business Development Team in Cardiff. They will be working closely with the Partners on the development and growth of allocated sectors and markets (Cardiff Regional and Built Environment and Employment, Pensions and Immigration) providing strategic and operational support to the Business Group heads, the regional senior partner and client partners.
They will engage with all key stakeholders internal and external within defined areas, facilitate innovation and idea generation that will positively impact the reputation, revenue and profitability of allocated division and markets.
* Undertake annual divisional and regional planning providing objectives, activities and marketing initiatives to support the Partners
* Develop ideas for initiatives that will improve the reputation of Blake Morgan, including ones that will appeal to board level clients and prospects
* Drive active client relationship management, working closely with the Partners to develop relationships with clients and prospects that will impact revenue generation
* Lead the regional sales group meeting, coach and drive through the leads and opportunities. Attend the quarterly national sales meeting and report activity and success stories
* Take a pro-active lead alongside the Partners on all non-procurement led pitches/pricing requests ensuring that we maximise the opportunity through understanding client/target, their drivers, best approach and deliver pitches to the highest standard
* Lead on developing key clients in allocated division/region
* Attend external business development meetings and where appropriate pitches alongside lawyers
* Pro-active identification and development of targets
* Maintain a current awareness of the issues affecting businesses and have the ability to think through how these will translate into opportunities for existing services or new offerings the firm could provide
* Monitor client profitability and turnaround actions and activities
* Monitor growth/decline clients working with the client partner to ensure that actions are followed up
* Provide operational support to manage, grow and retain clients
* Identify key third party organisations and membership groups to support the firm's growth and work with them to deliver high levels of engagement and maximise marketing and business development opportunities
* Lead on pitch strategy and provision of market leading documentation.
* Provide support on strategic bids including client specific tailored information and contribute to the written bid and presentation ensuring the highest quality and most innovative bid is produced.
* Ability to coach and assist Partners and other fee earners in their market facing roles to take advantage of informal pitch opportunities and presentations
* Through the engagement and dedication to allocated sectors and markets, develop innovative ideas for campaigns and thought leadership to be implemented through the support of marketing colleagues
* Work with the Partners and lawyers to provide innovative high quality content for marketing communications and key messages for distribution through our multi-channel marketing outlets.
* Market and competitor intelligence - keep up to date with key developments in selected areas and disseminate information to interested parties
* Obtain research into the clients and/or key targets for the sector to identify the opportunities that exist, the current service providers, and the personnel who are key to winning the business
* Provide monthly summary report on client initiatives incorporating financial information
* Develop sector and client investment budgets integrating return on investment measurements – maintain focus on ROI and spend vs budget
* Deliver client financial reporting, review issues and trends
* Develop mutually beneficial relationships with industry stakeholders including other professional services firms, banks and industry bodies
* Work with other Business Development Managers to develop and implement regional and cross-sector initiatives
* Build strong and respected relationships with allocated divisional and regional partners and lawyers
* Supervise and manage business development executive in Cardiff
Skills / Experience Required
* A highly skilled manager with 5-10 years' experience in law firm/professional services management working within business development with line management experience
* Sales experience and track record of growing new business
* Strong project management experience
* Extensive existing client development experience
* Extensive financial management knowledge
* Be a self-starter with the confidence to work alongside partners and to participate in sales pitches to clients
* Strong influencing, communication, creativity and commercial skills
* CIM Qualified or similar
* Committed to rigour around treating all clients fairly
* Focused on attributing dedication, determination and loyalty to colleagues, clients and communities
* Able to demonstrate continuous development and diversity in thinking
* Understands and complies with Information Security responsibilities commensurate with this role including Data Protection and the duty of confidentiality
Blake Morgan is committed to adopting Smart Working practices, where appropriate in the context of business needs, and empowering employees to maximise their performance. Whilst we strive to ensure consistency of approach across the firm, there will inevitably be some differences in working practices across our business groups and business support functions. We consider each member of staff's personal preferences, working styles and development needs when deciding the best arrangements to suit our clients and colleagues. A typical approach would be a blend of working in your usual office, working from another Blake Morgan office, working from a client's office and working from home. A Guide to getting the most out of Smart Working Policy is available for our employees. You will be a core part of the team and able to access the technology, support, training and resources you require.
Blake Morgan is one of the UK's leading full service law firms, with offices in London, Wales, Thames Valley and the South Coast region. We provide our clients with practical and straightforward legal advice whatever their regional, national and international requirements. Our clients are commercial businesses, not-for-profit organisations, government agencies and private individuals.
Our office locations and details of how to reach them are found here.
How to Apply
Please apply on our website through our Online Portal.
Closing Date: Within two months from date of posting but please note we are continually reviewing applications so we would recommend applying sooner rather than later.
Interviews: The interview process will start as soon as suitable candidates have been identified. We will notify you in advance if you are required to carry out a drafting exercise/skills test as part of the interview process.
If you have any questions, please email Jo Godwin at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone on 01865 254288.
Please note that we are currently only accepting CVs from instructed agencies and direct applicants.
Our Culture and Environment
We pride ourselves on our Personality, which is weaved into everything we do for our staff, clients and communities alike. We have created an environment underpinned by our ACTS framework that places high value on being:
It's part of the way we like to do things. If you wish to work amongst colleagues with these behaviours, then you will find yourself amongst likeminded individuals at Blake Morgan.
We work as one team and believe in supporting our colleagues to strengthen the firm. We act honestly and openly in all that we do. We care for our communities and encourage all our people to actively participate in our sports, social and charitable activities. We foster a mature and smart flexible working environment which is family friendly. We also offer opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge and to progress within the firm via our Blake Morgan Academy. We seek to be transparent in all of our dealings with applicants and ensure that you have all the information you need to understand our recruitment process to decide whether or not the role and our firm are right for you.
Blake Morgan strives to create and maintain a positive, non-discriminatory work environment. We will ensure that all applications for vacancies will be considered without discrimination against any person on the basis of race, colour, religion, disability, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or marital status. We strive to ensure that our shortlisting and interviewing panels are diverse. Further details about our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion can be found here.
Some of the benefits of working at Blake Morgan can be found here.